Today I revisited a technique I learned at school during an art lesson. We drew out a small square and added an asymmetric design to it. Then, using tracing paper we repeated the outline and flipped it over in each square to build up a bigger picture that would eventually become symmetrical. It was too long ago to remember what the design was. However, I do remember my exam question was to produce a romantic piece of gift-wrap and I thought about this considerably. I decided not to do a symmetrical pattern for that; opting instead to have linking bonnets running diagonally down the page and linking the ribbons and bows to a female head. Coloured pencils gave the images a soft appeal and it must have worked because I passed the exam!
This time, I chose to work with a rectangle and a flower/leave pattern. I’m hoping to adapt the design to fabric and then make a 3D object out of it.